Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Marathon, really?


Well maybe a marathon or maybe a half marathon.  B will be walking a half marathon and I will be running either a half or a full marathon to fundraise for our adoption.  I figure I labored for 48 hours with C with no medication, I can run a marathon for the next Baby Bates.

The goal is to fundraise in a way that doesn’t feel – to us- like we’re just putting our hands out and begging.  We have tightened our belts and are looking into options to increase our income, but it looks like we will need some help.  What we don’t feel comfortable with is sending out letters just asking for donations.  We know that is a legitimate option and many people have great success with it.  We feel like we should be doing something on our end.  This, of course, is not to pass judgment on any other families who take a different path.  We feel like we’re showing our dedication by participating in a half, and possibly a full marathon.

Over the holidays multiple cousins expressed interest in running with us.  I am so overwhelmed with the generosity of spirit in my family.   We’re looking into all our options to make this happen.  I have this fantasy of a 10+ person team running for our child.  My heart just melts with the support we received over the holidays.

Initially we wanted to participate in the Chosen Marathon for Adoption.  However, it is in Texas, so getting down there would be a challenge for everyone.  It was pointed out that the finances involved in getting everyone down there could just go right to our adoption fund.   Now I’m looking into runs in both the late spring and fall here in the Northeast.  We will probably participate in a run up here and create a profile with Adopt Together to give donors the option of a tax deductable platform.

So it looks like I really need to start running regularly again, and figure out these logistics.   When I run regularly it really helps me to process and feel less anxious.  I get out all the nervous energy and have time to work through a lot of thoughts and emotions.  Sure sounds to me like it’ll be a great thing to be doing during this process :-D

~M

3 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful way to raise funds. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about feeling dedicated. For the past year I went debt free adoption and worked 100+ hours a week. I didn't go to movies or out to dinner, I kept my heat on 62, no new clothes, I considered going without toothpaste but there is just something about a fresh mouth in the morning : ) all so I felt comfortable having a garage sale fundraiser. I didn't think it was fair to ask other for help if I wasn't willing to completely lay it down and change my life. I only had the one fundraiser but for a garage sale, killed it. I am finally starting to live life now. Good for you for putting something of yourself into it. God Bless and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More power to you Marie!

    I have traveled and seen the children of the world who are without homes, without love, and without hope. Children are the responsibility of the world, as a whole. Who are we, who have the luxury of growing and learning if we are not willing to embrace the youth, the future, and share what we have earned and been given. I commend you, and all who are willing to embrace the world's children as if each of your womb. You have my support and adoration.

    What's more you have my pledge to run for your cause, as it is not only yours, but mine and the world's.

    I say to you remaining, I'M RUNNING, WHO'S COMING WITH ME"?

    May road rise to meet you, and may the pledges be abundant!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete